The Second Cooler / La Segunda Nevera
- Human Rights, Investigation, Minorities, Politics, and Contemporary Issues
The Second Cooler, a migrant justice documentary, asks why 11 million migrants are in the United States illegally and, more importantly, who benefits?
- Show treatment
Looks at illegal immigration in relationship to the North American Free Trade Agreement, the militarization of the US / MX border, legal barriers to legal migration, the Guest Worker Program, and migrant deaths. Interviews with numerous migrants, including three children under the age of 12 and a migrant we helped rescue in Arizona, authorized Guest Workers, lawyers, political scientists, a Border Patrol agent, union organizers and others.
The Second CoolerÂ consists of three overlapping story lines. First, illegal migrants talk about their lives and their experiences crossing borders illegally. Second, it proposes that illegal migrantsâ€™ lives and deaths are entangled with historical, economic, legal, racial, and social issues on both sides of the border. Third, visual motifs including white crosses and snarling police dogs relate these issues while emphasizing the approximately 5,000 migrants whose bodies have been recovered from the American southwest. Original songs and score.
- Running time
- 79 minutes
- Ellin Jimmerson ... Writer, Director, Editor
- Martin Sheen ... Narrator
- Bill Jackson ... Production Sound Mixer
- Joseph Harchanko ... Composer
- Prod. Co.
- Huntsville Immigration Initiative, LLC
- United States
- Years of Production
- United States, Mexico
- Prod. Partners
- Interfaith Mission Service, Inc., in a cooperative agreement for use of its 501c3 (non-profit) status.
- Release year
- 2013 Peace on Earth Film Festival, Chicago, Arizona International Film Festival, AMFM Fest, Manhattan Film Festival, Boston Latino Independent Film Festival, Red Rock Film Festival, Dominican Republic Global Film Festival
- Best Feature Documentary, Peace on Earth Film Festival, Film 4 Change & Special Humanitarian Award, AMFM Fest, Film Heals Award, Manhattan Film Festival
- No distribution. Interested in finding good distributor. Particularly suitable for distribution in North and South America
- Broadcast (Prod.)
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- English, Spanish
- English, Spanish
Browse documentary films on The D-Word