Produced by Michael Shaw
- Docu-Drama, Arts, Culture, Lifestyle, and Docutainment
SlamNation chronicles The National Poetry Slam - the Olympics of verse, in which spoken word artists (the adrenaline junkies of the literary world) compete fiercely in battle poetic.
SlamNation is a feature-length nonfiction narrative that takes you on a trip through this phenomenon, following New York City's novice team on its journey to join over 120 spoken word artists on 27 city teams at the National Poetry Slam in Portland, Oregon. Here, SlamNation discovers not only the raw energy and sheer talent of some of the greatest performance poets in the country, but a good old fashioned tale of heroes and villains amidst the dramatic tension of fiery competition.
From the inevitable rivalries, highly charged controversies, and unusual characters emerge some classic struggles such as art versus ego, and self-expression versus self-advancement. The stakes are unexpectedly high: audience adulation and thunderous applause that few poets will ever experience.
- Running time
- 83 and 50 minutes
- Paul Devlin ... Director, Producer, Editor, DOP
- Tom Poole ... Co-Producer, Camera
- Michael Shaw ... Co-Producer
- John Anderson ... Director of Photography, Camera
- John Kayne ... Audio Editing, Sonic Restoration
- Chris Parker ... Music Supervisor, Original Music
- Maxime Giordani ... Assistant Editor
- Plazm ... Graphic Design
- Prod. Co.
- United States
- New York, Oregon
- Prod. Partners
- Tom Poole, Michael Shaw
- Release year
- Berlin Film Fest, Hot Docs, SXSW, Newport International FF, Philafilm, Florida FF, USA FF, Film Forum, Central Florida FF, Ireland Film Festival, Hawaii International Film Festival, Cinerama, Festival Silêncio, The Tortured Artists Film Festival
- Best Feature - The Tortured Artists Film Festival, Best Documentary - Northampton FF l, 2 Jury Awards - Berlin Film Festival, Grand Prize Jury - Florida Film Festival, Best Doc Feature - Hot Docs Toronto, Best Doc Nomation - Independent Spirit Awards
Browse documentary films on The D-Word