Half the Kindgom
- Official Website
- Religion, Human Interest, and Culture
“What is thy request? Even if it be half the kingdom you may have it”
The Scroll of Esther (5:3)
How much power do women have to change age-old religious and social structures? Will altering religious practices to allow fuller participation by women fundamentally change the fabric of the religion?
In this provocative documentary film, Half the Kingdom, seven remarkable Jewish women from Canada; the United States and Israel , strive to find common ground between religious and cultural tradition and contemporary feminist principles.
The quotation from ‘The Scroll of Esther’, one of the rare books in the Hebrew Scriptures to bear a woman’s name, symbolizes the quest of contemporary women for equality. Half the Kingdom addresses a basic issue faced by women in the majority of mainstreams religions. It concerns issues not only of feminism, but also of religious pluralism and civil rights. Whether Jewish or not, one will gain inspiration from the seven indomitable women portrayed in
- Running time
- 58 minutes
- Francine Zuckerman ... Director, Producer
- Prod. Co.
- Z films inc.
- Years of Production
- Canada, USA and Israel
- Prod. Partners
- National Film Board of Canada
- Release year
- Official selection of the London International Film Festival Official selection of the Sydney International Film Festival Official selection of Films de Femmes, France
- Nominated for Gemini Award Gemini Award Best Documentary and Best Direction of a Documentary; Winner of the Gold Apple Award at the National Educational Film and Video Festival Winner of the Red Ribbon; Award at the American Film and Video Festival
- National Center for Jewish Film
- Broadcast (Prod.)
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- Channel 4, SBS, Finnish TV
Browse documentary films on The D-Word