Produced by Jiang Xuan & Giulia Caruso
- Official Website
- Other Links
- Sports, Culture, Portrait, Foreign Worlds, and Contemporary Issues
Jiàoliàn [Coach] is a feature length documentary about 27 year-old Norman de Silva, who overnight finds himself head coach of the Chinese Basketball Association’s (CBA) Foshan Long Lions. In a move to make the CBA games more exciting and to enhance the training and development of local players, the CBA allows each team to contract up to two American players and an American coach. For Norman, China is an opportunity of a lifetime, but as he delves deeper into the lives of his players, he sees kids that have been put through exhausting and mundane daily routines for years to become model basketball players. In order to win, Norman has to help his players to fall in love with basketball again. Jiàoliàn [Coach] is a rare time-capsule of what it means to play basketball in China at a time where age-old eastern practices are clashing with new western methods.
- in post-production
- Running time
- 75 and 52 minutes
- Esteban Arguello ... Director, Producer
- Jiang Xuan ... Producer
- Miranda Yousef ... Editor
- Roy Bemelmans ... Composer
- Scott Grossman ... Graphic Design
- Giulia Caruso ... Co-Producer
- Prod. Co.
- Quebracho Productions
- Years of Production
- China, United States
- Prod. Partners
- Nonetheless Productions
- We are currently running an Indiegogo campaign to raise finishing funds for the film and are looking into distribution options.
- English, Chinese
Browse documentary films on The D-Word