- Arts, Cultural History, Foreign Worlds, Human Rights, and Contemporary Issues
the art star and the sudanese twins follows the controversy of pop star of the art world, Vanessa Beecroft and her plans to adopt orphaned Sudanese twins. Italian Vanessa is a millionaire through her controversial artwork, and alongside the adoption process photographed herself breast-feeding the twins on the altar of the local Catholic cathedral.
She believes that coincidence led her to save the twins. But at what cost?
Iâ€™m afraid of the judgement of the people. The bishop, the dinkas, the world. Ah here she is - another white woman wants something exotic.
This is not the way for this world to go ahead. An American black girl may not go for a Sudanese black man. I have said it.
Bishop Mazzolari, Bishop of Rumbek
When are you going to save them this month and I will be waiting for you as I hope.
Akot Makoi, twinsâ€™ father
With Greg itâ€™s falling apart. I am rolling off a cliff.
Africa - Bob Geldoff, Bono, Angelina Jolie. Itâ€™s somewhat hip to be into that cause. Saving two by extracting them from their culture. I can fill my needs by bringing them into my world? Itâ€™s too selfish.
- Running time
- 96 and 58 minutes
- Pietra Brettkelly ... Producer/Director
- Prod. Co.
- PBK Limited
- New Zealand
- Years of Production
- USA, Sudan, Italy, Germany, London
- Release year
- Sundance Film Festival, Hotdocs, Melbourne, Zurich, Rio, Edinburgh, New Zealand, Bergen, CPH:Dox, MOMA, Message to Man, St Petersburg
- Best Editing World Documentary Competition Sundance Film Festival, Best Documentary Qantas Film Awards, Best Director EIDF Seoul, Best Documentary Whistler Film Festival Canada
- English, Italian, Sudanese tribal language
Browse documentary films on The D-Word