- Official Website
- Other Links
- Culture, Foreign Worlds, Arts, Anthropology, and Music
The dazzling story of two women raised in different worlds - an immigrant folk dancer from the Andes, and a modern dancer from Queens, NY - who return to Peru to reconnect with roots and an astonishing world of traditional dance and celebration.
After 15 years in New York, Nelida Silva returns to her birthplace in the Andes to fulfill a lifelong dream and host the fiesta patronal â€” an eight day celebration dance, music, and rituals from Incan times. But Neliâ€™s changed, and so has the village. Whatâ€™s it like to go back to the Andes when youâ€™ve become a New Yorker?
Meanwhile: Cynthia Paniagua, a dancer raised in Queens by a Peruvian mom, embarks on her own Peruvian journey after meeting Neli â€” determined to â€œquench a burning desire to know the real Peru, to unearth the mystery of the dances.â€ Does she find what sheâ€™s looking for? Well, youâ€™ll have to see the movie!
Soy Andina is an exuberant cross-cultural road trip, bursting with traditional music and dance rarely seen outside the co
- Running time
- 70 and 52 minutes
- Mitch Teplitsky ... Director/Producer
- Prod. Co.
- Lucuma Films
- Years of Production
- Peru, USA
- Release year
- Dozens, including: Latin Beat at Film Society of Lincoln Center; Chicago Latino FF; Boston Latino FF; Los Angeles Latino FF; Santa Barbara Film Festival; NY Hispanic FF; See http://soyandina.com/calendar for complete list
- Best Director, Two River Film Festival / Latin American Realities
- Direct Distribution by Lucuma Films to the home, educational and VOD markets; U.S. TV rights: Latino Public Broadcasting
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- Latino Public Broadcasting, for Voces television Series on PBS stations
- English, Spanish
- English, Spanish
Browse documentary films on The D-Word