- Official Website
- Other Links
- Human Rights, Personal Doc, Politics, Social Issues, and Contemporary Issues
Filmmakers Ayala and Fallshaw follow Fetim Sellami, a Saharawi refugee, to North Africa for a reunion with her mother. Mother and child were separated when Sellami was a toddler. But the UN-sponsored reunion reveals a secret which spirals the film into a dark world the filmmakers could never have imagined. The black Saharawis start talking about a forbidden subjectâ€¦Their enslavement.
The filmmakers recount moments of terror when their lives were in danger as well as the extreme hardships in getting the footage across borders. Perhaps most disturbingly, it becomes difficult to distinguish who are the good guys, as the â€˜good guysâ€™ turn bad and the â€˜bad guysâ€™ appear to do good.
The Polisario, the movement running the camp flew Sellami to the Sydney Film Festival to deny being a slave and that slavery exists in the camps. Stolen is a compelling, modern-day, real-life cloak-and-dagger thriller.
"Pacy, exciting and hugely engrossing.â€ VARIETY
"Riveting stuff.â€ THE TORONTO STAR
- Running time
- 78 and 55 minutes
- Violeta Ayala ... Director, Writer, Producer, 2nd Camera
- Prod. Co.
- United Notions Film
- Years of Production
- 2006 - 2009
- Algeria, Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Paris, New York, Geneva and Sydney.
- Prod. Partners
- Daniel Fallshaw (Director, Producer, DOP, Editor) Tom Zubricky (Producer) Deborah Dickson (US Producer) John McDowell (Music Composer) Justine Moyle (Associate Producer) Ellen Peck (Associate Producer) Andrew Plain (Associate Producer)
- Release year
- Toronto, IDFA, Seattle, Cleveland, Kansas, One World, Glasgow, Sydney, Melbourne, Docaviv, Sebastopol, Bermuda, Watch Docs, Guth Gaffa, Victoria, Atlanta, Doc Edge, Rincon, STF, NY African FF, DocPoint, Films from the South, Docville, It's All Truth
- Best Doc 2010 Pan African FF, LA-Best Doc 2010 Anchorage IFF, Alaska-Grand Prix of The Art of Document 2010 Warsaw-Best Doc 2010 Africa IFF, Port Harcourt, Nigeria -Best Film 2010 Cuenca, Ecuador-Best Film 2010 Rivers Edge, Bronze Award 2010 Amnesty IFF
- Currently limited release in festivals only
- Spanish, English, Hassaniya
- English, Spanish, French, Polish
Browse documentary films on The D-Word