Sándor's New Zealand Trail/Behaviours of the Backpacker
- Official Website
- Other Links
- Adventure, Cultural History, Foreign Worlds, Minorities, and Personal Doc
In “Sándor’s New Zealand Trail,” Sándor Lau, the Eagle Scout and Fulbright Scholar your mother warned you about, walks 500km alone from Auckland to Cape Reinga, New Zealand’s geographic and spiritual tip. This black comedy road trip documentary records the stories of backpackers from around the world, organic farmers, hostel owners, tour operators, Maori communities, and the filmmaker himself. On his journey, Sándor discovers the weight of a toothbrush handle, why we spend our lives walking backwards and the number of footsteps to home.
“Sándor’s New Zealand Trail” has been an official selection in film festivals around the world and originally aired on Television New Zealand. It was originally released in New Zealand as “Behaviors of the Backpacker.”
- Running time
- 53 and 44 minutes
- Sándor Lau ... Director, Producer, Presenter
- Prod. Co.
- Sandor Lau Creations
- New Zealand
- Years of Production
- Auckland, Northland, New Zealand.
- Release year
- Raetihi Film Festival (New Zealand) Bali International Film Festival (Indonesia), Wet West Film Fest, Boulder Adventure Film Festival (USA), NY Hawaiian Film Festival, Asia Film Festival NZ, Wairoa Maori Film Festival (NZ), Eugene Celebration Film Fest US
- Bali International Film Festival (Bali, Indonesia) 2004, nominated—Sarasvati International Film Award
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- TVNZ, Maori TV (NZ), the Venture Channel (US), The Documentary Channel (US)
- English (occasional Maori)
Browse documentary films on The D-Word