In Our Son's Name
- Official Website
IN OUR SON'S NAME is an intimate portrait of Phyllis and Orlando Rodríguez, whose son, Greg, dies with thousands of others in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. The bereaved parents choose reconciliation and nonviolence over vengeance and begin a transformative journey that both confirms and challenges their convictions.
They speak out against war in Iraq and Afghanistan, publicly oppose the death penalty of avowed 9/11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui and befriend his mother. As their search for meaning evolves they speak out against anti-Muslim actions and find peace in working with prison inmates.
Their marriage strengthens, and they reach a deeper understanding of their rebellious son, who had just begun to find his way when his life was cut short. The film mixes in-depth interviews with on-location footage and striking archival photographs and video to create a deeply personal story that invites us to re-consider conventional concepts of justice and healing.
- Running time
- 80 minutes
- Ed Barguiarena ... Composer, Original Score
- Gayla Jamison ... Producer, Director, Writer
- Ellen Goldwasser ... Editor
- Arthur Yee ... DOP
- Prod. Co.
- Lightfoot Films
- United States
- Years of Production
- New York City and New Jersey
- Release year
- 2016: Human Rights Film Festival, Long Island International Film Expo, Peace On Earth Film Festival 2015: Atlanta Film Festival, Global Peace Film Festival,
- 2016 Social Justice Film Festival, Bronze Jury Prize
- Aired on PBS in 2016
Browse documentary films on The D-Word