A year in the lives of six members of the Minnesota Roller Derby, as they compete to win the Hydra, the top international prize of the sport. When the star of the team gets injured, will her teammates find their own power?
MINNESOTA MEAN is a human drama about the pounding heart of roller derby: powerful, self-sufficient women. It’s a vital and relevant story of triumph, loss, strength, determination, and a search for balance between individuality and community. How do women who pride themselves on their hard-won independence thrive in a sport that requires them to rely on a team? How do they meet the full-time demands of the sport without sacrificing their own dreams for life outside the rink? A meditation on strength: in our bodies, our hearts, our minds, and our friendships.
- Running time
- 81 minutes
- Dawn Mikkelson ... Director
- Jim Tittle ... Director of Photography
- Nanne Sørvold ... Cinematographer
- Cliff Dahlberg ... Cinematographer
- Kimberly Brown ... Co-Editor
- M'Daya Meliani ... Co-Editor
- Shawn Hissami ... Co-Editor
- Carly Zuckweiler ... Re-recording Mixer
- Steve Ash ... Color Grader
- Sarah Moua ... Camera
- Prod. Co.
- Emergence Pictures
- United States
- Years of Production
- Minnesota; Eugene, OR; Dallas, TX; and Philadelphia, PA.
- Release year
- Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival, Florida Film Festival, Sunscreen Flm Festival
Browse documentary films on The D-Word