- Official Website
- Society, Foreign Worlds, Minorities, Portrait, and Social Issues
Between Australia’s most isolated city and it's largest gold pit lies Coolgardie, where the arrival every three months of a new pair of foreign female backpackers to work the only bar in town is keenly anticipated by the town’s hot-blooded males.
Fresh off the plane and attracted by the idea of an authentic outback experience, Finnish travel buddies Lina and Steph find themselves en route to a dot on the Western Australia map - to pour beers, replenish depleted travel funds and live amongst the locals.
But their working holiday quickly deteriorates into a test of endurance.
Prey to the madness and malaise of an environment as claustrophobic as it is isolated – the girls soon realise that to meet expectations out here they’ll need to do more than simply serve drinks.
Pete Gleeson’s raucous, unflinching debut is a shocking, amusing and unexpectedly moving portrait of small-town insularity, fragile masculinity, and the plight of the outsider who must adapt or face the consequences.
- Running time
- 84 minutes
- Pete Gleeson ... Director, DOP, Editor
- Melissa Hayward & Kate Neylon ... Producers
- Lawrie Silvestrin, ASE ... Additional Editing
- Ric Curtin ... Sound mixing
- Prod. Co.
- Raw And Cooked Media Pty Ltd
- Years of Production
- Release year
- Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival, Sydney Film Festival, New Zealand International Film Festival, Cinefest Oz
- English, Finland Swedish
Browse documentary films on The D-Word