- Arts, Minorities, Contemporary Issues, Culture, and Music
This engaging documentary chronicles a group of amateur actors living in religion- and football-obsessed small-town Alabama, who bond while producing “Skanks in a One Horse Town,” an original drag musical. “Skanks” follows the cast of amateur performers – some gay, some straight, and all unique – as they bond to form a family of sorts while creating the unconventional show in a conservative Southern city. This heartwarming film explores their humor and the meaning that theater has in their lives.
- Running time
- 84 minutes
- Brendan Reed ... Editor, Producer
- David McMahon ... Director, Producer
- Prod. Co.
- Swiss Petite Films
- United States
- Years of Production
- Birmingham, Alabama
- Release year
- Slamdance, Indiegrits, Sidewalk, Rooftop, DocuWest
- Audience Award Best Documentary - Indiegrits, Audience Award Best Documentary - Sidewalk
Browse documentary films on The D-Word