Generation Yamakasi - The Art of Displacement
- Social Issues, Sports, Foreign Worlds, Portrait, and Society
For the Yamakasi the "Art of Displacement" is a way of life. Racing through the new cities that ring Paris, climbing walls, swinging from balconies and leaping across rooftops, they transform the oppressive concrete architecture into places of fantasy, possibility and play. The heart of our documentary is the story of how the Yamakasi are transforming the youth of the suburbs, and themselves, through discipline, will and desire. Now, as the Art of Displacement is being embraced as an extreme sport and urban pastime, will the social message be transmitted as well? What is it for the new generation? Generation Yamakasi traces the history, the value and questions the future of this new urban phenomenon.
- Running time
- 82 minutes
- Mark Daniels ... Writer/Director/Cameraman
- Prod. Co.
- API Production, Paris; Majestic Force, Surenes
- Years of Production
- Paris, Evry France
- Prod. Partners
- France 2
- Release year
- Music Doc Festival, Rome; Architectural Week opening Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Spain
- Special Jury Prize Music Doc Festival Romd (2006)
- AB International Distribution, TF1 Video (DVD in French)
- Broadcast (Prod.)
- France 2, SBS Australia, TSR
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- Planete and Planete Choc.
- A bootleg translation with English subtitles can be found on the internet
Browse documentary films on The D-Word