- Arts, Culture, Personal Doc, and History
ALIVE IN BRONZE is as much a love story as it is an activist film.
Sculptor Dana King’s hands and activist Fredrika Newton’s memories come together to build a new monument—a bust of Black Panther Party leader Huey P. Newton for the Oakland community that he loved and shaped. As the sculpture takes form, more than just a face is revealed. From the project’s conception through its community unveiling, these two women take us on a journey to reclaim erased histories—personal and collective—and to rededicate them to the future.
It explores the nexus of art, race, and legacy through the personal journeys of King and Newton. We see moments of sisterhood, joy, activism, and the love involved with creating a meaningful representation of that which has been left out of the dominant historical narrative. We ultimately experience the powerful relationship between individual and collective loss and the importance of monuments.
- Show treatment
(previously called For Love & Legacy)
- Running time
- 20 minutes
- AK Sandhu ... Director, Producer, DOP, Co-Editor
- Marcus Shelby ... Composer
- Tamara Santos ... DOP
- Regina Spurlock ... Editor/AP
- Riccard Servini ... Editor
- Kenneth Eng ... Finishing Editor & Advisor
- Jevon Heyliger ... Editor - Trailer
- Sheila Nevins ... Executive Producer
- Sara Newens ... Finishing Editor
- Kate Linhardt ... Finishing Editor
- Jennifer Crystal Chien ... Executive Producer and Story Consultant
- Prod. Co.
- Re–Present Partners, LLC
- United States
- Years of Production
- Oakland, CA
- Prod. Partners
- MTV DOCUMENTARY FILMS
- Release year
- Tribeca, GlobeDocs, Pan African FF, Mill Valley, Sebastopol, SFFilm, Hot Springs, Ashland, Martha's Vineyard African American FF, Seattle International, etc.
- Pan African Film Festival––Programmers' Award 2022
- Streaming exclusively on Paramount+
Browse documentary films on The D-Word