- Investigation, Contemporary Issues, Science, Environment, and Politics
A hard-hitting investigative documentary of auto, coal and steel industry efforts, in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, to weaken the Clean Air Act.
The film exposed the phony claims of concern for protecting the environment by the Reagan administration, the same kind of hypocritical line fed to the media and the public by the Trump and Bush White House. It was not long after telecast of this documentary that the head of EPA of that era resigned.
- Show treatment
Without permission, the Edison Electric Institute—the trade association for the electric power industry—re-edited the documentary with their own spokesman intermittently inserting their point of view.
Their unauthorized version showed how desperate they were to try to put their own spin on the issue. Our documentary showed how the EPA was in league with the coal, steel and auto industries in a drive to weaken the Clean Air Act.
"What Price Clean Air?" was all over public TV as a nationally telecast prime time special. Edison Electric Institute's was privately distributed for their own ego gratification in a few board rooms and to justify paying their PR people.
Included in my film are industry and government advocates, air pollution victims. public officials and scientists trying to cope with pollution from LA traffic, factory processing, steel processing, acid rain. Filmed in the Pittsburgh PA area, Los Angeles, Japan, Sweden, Canada and England.
- Running time
- 56 minutes
- Robert Richter ... Producer, Director, Writer
- Jackie Leopold ... Assoc. Producer
- Burleigh Wartes ... Cinematographer
- Sidney Reichman ... Addl. Cinematography
- Robert Achs ... Addl. Cinematography
- Judith Sobol ... Editor
- Prod. Co.
- Richter Productions
- United States
- Years of Production
- Pittsburgh PA area, Los Angeles, Japan, Sweden, Canada and England.
- Release year
- National Emmy finalist for investigative documentaries
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- PBS ran What Price Clean Air in From Crisis to Crisis, its first series of independent documentaries.
- English Subtitles
Browse documentary films on The D-Word