Father Roy: Inside the School of Assassins
- Contemporary Issues, Human Rights, Foreign Worlds, and Religion
Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo are not the first time the U.S. has been involved in torture. This documentary reveals the struggle to expose a CIA secret torture training facility on the grounds of Ft. Benning, GA. The story is told through the daring actions of Father Roy Bourgeois, a Vietnam war hero who risked his freedom and life many times in the campaign to close the training facility. Called US Army School of the Americas (SOA), now it is named the Western Hemispheric Institute for Security Cooperation.
Three men, each from a different Latin country, link SOA to torture training. One discovered an SOA torture-training manual. The other two were trained in torture techniques at SOA. In 1996 the White House Intelligence Oversight Board confirmed their explosive charges.
At the risk of his life, the producer was pledged to never disclose the identity of one of these three men, who feared for his own life because of the shocking information he revealed.
- Show treatment
"This powerful film presents one person's efforts to change American foreign policy... recommended for all video collections."
"One of the outstanding documentaries of 1997."
—Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
—Grand Rapids Press
—Dallas Morning News
"An inspiring tool for education and action."
—Report on Guatemala
- Running time
- 57 minutes
- Robert Richter ... Producer, Director, Writer
- Susan Sarandon ... Narrator
- Rick Miranda ... Cinematographer
- Carlos Aparicio ... Cinematographer
- Ana Crenovich ... Editor
- Prod. Co.
- Richter Productions
- United States
- Years of Production
- Ft. Benning, GA, Bolivia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Washington DC, Maryknoll, Conyers GA, S, Carolina, Lutcher LA
- Release year
- Amnesty International (opening night), Havana Internationa Amnesty International(opening night); Guatemala, Havana International, Leipzig, Brussels, Seoul, Central Florida, Columbus, Ohio; Texas, California, New York.
- Coral Award, Havana Intl Film Fest.; First Prize, Central Florida Film Fest.; Bronze Award, Columbus, Ohio Film Fest.; CINE Golden Eagle
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- English Subtitles
Browse documentary films on The D-Word