Lost Souls (Animas Perdidas)
- Official Website
- Personal Doc, Minorities, and Social Issues
In 1999, two brothers were deported from the United States to Mexico. Within two weeks one of the brothers overdosed on heroin in a seedy Tijuana hotel room, his body unclaimed for two months in a mass grave. Raised in the U.S. since childhood and military vets, these men were deported from the only country they knew, and had sworn to protect, to forge new lives in Mexico.
Interviewing family members, and weaving together family photographs, letters, and veritÃ¨ footage, an epic story emerges about an immigrant family with a dark history of abuse, addiction and resilience. What happens when a family confronts its past, and how they have survived despite the constraints imposed by and across the U.S. border, is the focus of this compelling and emotional documentary.
- Running time
- 60 minutes
- Jason Mann ... Director of Photography
- Monika Navarro ... Director / Producer
- Prod. Co.
- Monika Navarro Productions
- United States
- Years of Production
- Mexico, United States
- Release year
- Cine Las Americas, Boston Latino Film Festival, Camden International Film Festival, Cinesol film Festival
- Best Director - Boyle Heights Latina Independent Film Extravaganza
- Independent Lens
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- Independent Lens - PBS
- English, Spanish
Browse documentary films on The D-Word