the worldwide community of documentary professionals
You are not signed in.
Log in or Register

The Mentoring Room - Ask the Working Pros

This is a Public Topic geared towards first-time filmmakers. Professional members of The D-Word will come by and answer your questions about documentary filmmaking.

David Mcilvride
Tue 25 Nov 2008Link

Charles you say you're 80 per cent complete and you need the other 20 per cent ... what is left that will take 20 per cent? Music compposition? Mix, color correction, etc. that kind of things. There might be contacts that can help with the completion if we know what you're needing.


Charles Acrie
Tue 25 Nov 2008Link

You know what's funny David? I thought I was about 80% completed but after joining this site I may be about 60%. I have about 75 hours of footage. I have already paid for the editing. I have worked out the music composition. I just need to shoot more of the principles in my project and pic up some more equipment and pay the cameraman shooting the B role. Any advice you have I am open for it. Thanks a bunch.


Thomas Golaszewski
Tue 25 Nov 2008Link

In reply to Le Sheng Liu's post on Sun 16 Nov 2008 : Thanks for the information.I will look into those groups. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Tom


Julianna Brannum
Tue 25 Nov 2008Link

Charles, you should definitely be in touch with Stanley Nelson from Firelight Media in NYC. He told me he has just launched a mentoring initiative for minority filmmakers and is looking for folks to mentor. He is absolutely invaluable.

Also, once you've got a trailer together, send it to him and he'll offer some advice on who to approach for more funding. And if you're really lucky, maybe you could get him to come on as Exec. Producer.
He's not great on email, so I suggest you give him a call and introduce yourself. Their number is 212.234.1324. Web address is www.firelightmedia.org.
Good luck!


Charles Acrie
Tue 25 Nov 2008Link

Thanks Julianna, I will be sure to give him a call. I do have a trailer but I want to make it more professional.


Erica Ginsberg
Tue 25 Nov 2008Link

Charles, also suggest if you are not already connected to sign up for Doculink. I believe they do work in progress screenings of trailers from time to time which may be worth looking into. Fellow D-Worder Robert Bahar is the Doculink Guru, so you may also want to talk to him. There's another group in the L.A. area now doing WIP screenings, but I think they are more focused on rough cuts. Plus D-Word now has a Vimeo channel where you can post for feedback here. I'm sure Doug can post the link since it escapes me at the moment.


Doug Block
Wed 26 Nov 2008Link

Charles, The D-Word has a Group on Vimeo here

And a Channel here

To get your films on The D-Word channel, join the Group and add your films to it and member Mike Patterson will automatically add them to the channel.


Mansi Behal
Wed 26 Nov 2008Link

Submit your short film to "The Party" competition at Filmaka.com and you could win funding to direct your feature-length script! 15-20 filmmakers win $1500 to $4500 each month – 3 of those go on to compete for feature funding at the end of the year! Entries must be 1 to 3 minutes long and are due January 12, 2009. More info at
www.filmaka.com/featurefilm


Le Sheng Liu
Thu 27 Nov 2008Link

In reply to Erica Ginsberg's post on DOCULINK WORKS-IN-PROGRESS :

Yes that is true. LA Doculink hosts about one or two (or maybe even more) works-in-progress screenings by its members. We call it the 10x10 because ten submissions are selected for screening and discussion. I don't know when the next one is, but I recommend all D-Worders join Doculink anyway. It's a great resource just like D-Word!!!


Diane Ingino
Wed 3 Dec 2008Link

Hi everybody,
I just posted a question in one of the members-only forums, but thought I'd come here and pick the brains of the general populace. I'm trying to help put a panel together for a talk in NYC on filmmakers' experiences with digital distribution. I need to get some more viewpoints on the topic.

If you – or anyone you know – is making any money with digital/online distribution of a documentary, please contact me: nycdiane "at" gmail "dot" com. If not making money, how would you define success with digital distribution? Thanks!


Join this discussion now. You need to log in or register if you want to post.