Greenlit: Developing Factual / Reality TV Ideas From Concept to Pitch by Nicola Lees
Do you have a documentary project that you are dying to pitch to a TV network, but don’t know where to start? Have you tried pitching it and had the door slammed in your face (several times)? Are you frustrated with being fobbed off? Are you losing confidence in your idea, even though deep down you know it’s a great concept? Is is something you did? Or said? Why are the buyers just not that into you? Don’t despair, you’re not alone in your frustration (although it can feel that way)!
I’m Nicola Lees, experienced development producer, and founder of TV Mole. I’ve spent more than 13 years in the international TV business, and have developed written and pitched hundreds of documentary, docu-drama, multi-platform and reality series for broadcasters such as the BBC, Discovery,Nat Geo, History, TLC and the The Travel Channel, and have won approximately 80 commissions in the UK and USA. I have written a comprehensive guide to the frustrating and often confusing world of TV commissioning, wherever you are in the world.
I’ve interviewed 50 top industry names – producers and buyers – to find out what works, and what doesn’t. You’ll get advice from:
* 10 TV development producers – who have a combined experience of 50+ years of developing and pitching ideas at all levels, from trainee researcher to creative director, and
* 20 senior executives from internationally successful independent production companies who have sold some of the world’s most successful shows, to
* 16 channel executives – the people to whom you will pitch your ideas, who between them have worked at
* 18 TV channels – their experience and advice spans commercial and public service broadcasting; cable, terrestrial and satellite channels; documentary, reality, entertainment, specialist factual (science, history, arts, religion and natural history) and multi-platform programming, in
* 7 countries across 4 continents
I also incorporated advice from a Hollywood agent, several video editors, a storytelling consultant, two production managers and four commercial rights experts.
Collectively, the people who will share their insider knowledge with you have originated, pitched, bought or produced some of the most successful, award-winning TV shows and documentaries in the world, including The Age of Stupid, Touching the Void and Murderball. You are getting hundreds of years of experience condensed into a few hundred pages.
"As a Development Producer with a fair few years in the field, I wasn't sure how much I'd get out of this book...it was worth every penny." (Amazon reviewer)
"After 25 years in this crazy business, it's the first time I have seen TV commissioning so comprehensively and entertainingly dissected." (Mike Slee, Independent Film & TV Producer/Director)