- Cultural History, Minorities, Arts, Social Issues, and Music
They wiggled, they jiggled, they wore low cut gowns and short shorts, they kow-towed to the club owners and smiled at the customersâ€¦and they did it all, just to play the music they loved.
THE GIRLS IN THE BAND tells the poignant, untold stories of female jazz and big band instrumentalists and their fascinating, groundbreaking journeys from the late 20's to the present day. These incredibly talented women endured sexism, racism and diminished opportunities for decades, yet continue today to persevere, inspire and elevate their talents in a field that seldom welcomed them.
- Running time
- 88 and 57 minutes
- Judy Chaikin ... Director/Producer/Co-Writer
- Prod. Co.
- Artist Tribe/One Step Productions
- Years of Production
- 2006 - 2013
- New York, Los Angeles, Omaha, Mississippi,
- Prod. Partners
- Michael Greene, Executive Producer Nancy Kissock, Producer Hugh Hefner, Producer, Judy Chaikin, Producer Erin Li, Co-Prodoucer Ann Ziff, Co Producer
- Release year
- Forty festivals
- Audience Choice - Palm Springs, Victoria, Omaha, Best Music Doc - DocUtah, Best Doc, High Falls
- John Tilley, theatrical distributor
- French, Spanish
Browse documentary films on The D-Word