Advice sought: Least expensive PC for video editing programs
I am seeking help finding the least expensive PC laptop capable of running Pinnacle Studio video editing programs. Iâ€™m on the low income side (especially after becoming unemployed) so I am working with modest equipment.
Because I am couch surfing, I need to stick with a laptop, not a PC.
Iâ€™ve tried several other editing programs such as Vegas, Adobe, etc., and Iâ€™ve tried iMovie on the Mac. Pinnacle works best for me. My current laptop, a Dell I bought in 2009, cannot handle my HD video editing. I am using a Kodak Zi8 camera.
The system requirements are at: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/
There are three main versions and all 3 appear to have different requirements:
Studio Ultimate Collection
The graphics card requirement is the same for all of three.
Iâ€™m a lean quick on my own how to use document, photo, and video editing programs for creative purposes. I am however clueless about the tech stuff.
I am getting unemployment checks and money is tight. However, I believe in myself enough to take a gamble and spend up to $1,000 on a laptop.
I need help though because I'm not good at the tech stuff and don't want to get ripped off at the stores. So far, Best Buy, Fryâ€™s and my computer savvy friends have all recommended different machines. Iâ€™m hoping that at some point Iâ€™ll hear the same recommendation a few times.
At least at Best Buy and Wal-Mart there are no re-stocking fees.
Thanks! I appreciate your time and help,
System Requirements for Studio Ultimate Collection
* Windows Â® 7, Windows Vista Â® (SP2),Windows XP (SP3)
* Intel Â® Pentium Â® or AMD Athlon â„¢ 1.8 GHz (2.4 GHz or higher recommended)
– Intel Core â„¢ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz required for AVCHD*
– Intel Core â„¢ 2 Quad 2.66 GHz or Intel Core â„¢ i7 required
for AVCHD* 1920
* 1 GB system memory recommended, 2 GB required for AVCHD*
* DirectX Â® 9 or 10 compatible graphics card with 64 MB (128 MB or higher recommended) – 128 MB required for Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks Plug-in: Pixelshader 2 required, Intel GMA integrated graphics not supported. – 256 MB required for HD and AVCHD*
* DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound card
* 3,6 GB of disk space
* DVD-ROM drive to install software
o CD burner for creating Video CDs or Super Video CDs (S-VCDs)
o DVD burner for creating DVD and AVCHD* discs
o Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray discs*
o Sound card with surround sound output required for preview of surround sound mixes*
* Capture from DV, HDV and Digital8 camcorders or VCRs (requires a FireWire Â® ; port)Capture from analog camcorders, 8 mm, HI 8, VHS, SVHS, VHS-C, SVHS-C, or VCRs (NTSC/PAL/SECAM). (requires Pinnacle or Dazzle video hardware)
* Import from AVCHD* and other file based Camcorders, Digital Still Cameras, Mobile Devices and Webcams via USB
* Output to DV, HDV or Digital8 tape (requires camcorder with FireWire Input port and a PC with a DV/FireWire port)
* Output to analog videotape (requires DirectShow compatible device with video output)
* Video: AVCHD*, BD Blu-ray*, DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX Â® , MPEG-4, 3GP(MPEG-4), WMV, Non-encrypted DVD titles (incl. DVD-VR/+VR), QuickTime Â® ; (DV, MPEG-4, H.264*)
* Audio: MP3, MPA, WAV, AC3*, WMA
* Graphic: BMP, GIF, JPG, PCX, PSD, TGA, TIF, WMF, PNG, J2K
* AVCHD*, BD Blu-ray*, HD-DVD, DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW, dual layer), S-VCD, Video CD (VCD)
* Apple Â® iPod Â® , Sony Â® ; PSP/PS3, Nintendo Â® Wii, Microsoft Â® Xbox compatible formats*
* DV, HDV, AVI, DivX*, RealVideo Â® 8, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4*, Flash, 3GP*, WAV, MP3*, QuickTime Â® (SD format) files
* Dolby Â® Digital 2 channel and 5.1 channel audio*