- Arts, Human Rights, Culture, Politics, and Current Affairs
The universe of comic books is a worldwide pop mythology, a Pantheon in cheap newsprint and saturated colors. For almost 100 years comic books have provided fantasy, escape, and compensation for adolescents who often feel powerless and misunderstood in their daily lives. Fantasies of power are inevitably violent, but the violence in comic books has no consequences. After all, it's just the stroke of a pen... But what happens when the comic book meets real war? In this age of hundreds of television stations, 24-hour news, worldwide instantaneous satellite transmission and thousands of web sites updated hourly, the lowly comic book has become a documentary medium, providing a real understanding of the human dimensions of war, genocide and revolution.
- Show treatment
The film examines how comic book writers and illustrators transpose tragic, violent stories into words and drawings. Images from television news shows, family videos, photos, and drawings are used to understand how these authors distort â€œrealityâ€ in order to better describe what is â€œreal.â€ Also explored are the journalistic, aesthetic and political implications of reporting the most violent and terrible of human experiences through comic books. Keiji Nakazawa, Joe Sacco, Marjane Satrapi, Ted Rall, Emmanuel Guibert and Joe Kubert talk about their work, with supporting images.
- Running time
- 65 and 52 minutes
- Mark Daniels ... Writer/Director/Cameraman
- Prod. Co.
- GA&A Productions, Rome, Italy; Reciprocal Films, New York
- Years of Production
- Paris, New York, Portland, Geneva
- Prod. Partners
- ZDF/ARTE, Avro. SVT, YLE, MEDIA
- Release year
- Nominated for Europa Prize (2010), FIFA, Montreal (2011), Istanbul International Film Festival (2010), San Diego Comic-Com (2011), Imperial War Museum, London (2011); others . . .
- Best Reportage FIFA, Montreal
- Distributed by GA&A Productions, Rome. DVD released by ARTE (France). On tour with prize-winning films from FIFA, Montreal.
- Broadcast (Prod.)
- ZDF/ARTE, AVRO, SVT, YLE, SVT, SF, TSR, CBC
- English, French
- English, French
Browse documentary films on The D-Word