- Culture, Docutainment, Biography, History, and Sports
A collage of formats from over 600 hours of home and professional video taken since 1989 is skillfully crafted to tell the stories of the â€œGhost Playersâ€
GHOST PLAYER is a one-hour documentary that chronicles the adventures and misadventures of a boisterous and unlikely team of middle aged baseball players. In 1989, Hollywood went to Iowa to shoot the movie â€œFIELD of DREAMSâ€. Little did anyone know this blockbuster would spawn a comedic baseball show starring local ballplayers that would have an 18 year run and travel the world.
As a production assistant for the traveling team, Joe Scherrman would grab his camera to record moments of the adventures. He was capturing a unique part of American culture without realizing that the footage would be considered historically significant. His collection of over 600 hours is being archived and preserved for future generations to enjoy.
- Show treatment
Cornfields whoosh by, swallowing this past with them. The players in back of the pickup trucks gaze at the landscape passing by. Voiceover continues: Many of my friends ate, drank and lived for the game of baseball; and they played it well. We each had a small taste of our childhood dreams. But none of us ever really got to live them.
The men approach a familiar cornfield and unload their crotchety bodies from the trucks. Nonetheless we all went about our lives, some more contentedly than others, raising families and working the jobs we were supposed to in order to feed them. They line up at the edge of the corn and feel their way through 150 feet of narrow cornrow. That was, until a Hollywood movie came to town. We follow the players to the edge of a vast clearing andâ€¦
We cut to the famous scene from the FIELD of DREAMS as a group of ball players also wearing 1919 White Sox uniforms emerge from the luscious sunlit cornrows onto the field of dreams. Our narrator Joe tells us: I never believed it before. But now I know for sure. Movies really can change your life. Especially ones about things like the power of dreams and the magic of second chances.
- Running time
- 46, 56 or 64 minutes
- Joe Scherrman ... Director/Producer
- Prod. Co.
- DreamCatcher Production
- United States
- Years of Production
- Started filming in 1989 as a video travelog. Started final interviews in 2008 and 2009
- Japan, Iowa Field of Dreams, Cuba, Europe, South Pacific islands
- Prod. Partners
- Metro Studios Associate Producer/Editor Aaron Spears Aaron began his career in Broadcast Television in 1996 at WSIU and graduated from Southern Illinois University. With a background that includes a variety of production skills including script writing, camera operation, directing and graphic design his true talent & passion lies within the world of video editing. While currently working within the Final Cut Studio 2 Musical Score Gerard Estella Gerard has toured extensively worldwide as a musician/audio engineer with acts as diverse as Sting, the Grand Ole Opry, Michelle Branch, Styx, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Phil Collins and numerous others.
- Release year
- Naperville Independent Film Festival, Cooperstown NY, National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum Film Festival
- 2009 Wild Rose Film Festival Winner Best of Iowa, Certificate of Distinctive Achievement, Finalist Best Feature, Finalist Best Editing; Finalist-Best Documentary Naperville Film Festival 9-21-09; Finalist Best Documentary Cooperstown;
- Broadcast (Acq.)
- Iowa Public TV-non-exclusive, Wisconsin Public TV-nonexclusive
- ONE PART BASEBALL TWO PARTS VAUDVILLE, BEYOND THE CORN, THE TEAM. THE TIMES. THE HISTORY.
Browse documentary films on The D-Word